Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Benelux April 2013 -- Keukenhof Gardens Greenhouses

For the two weeks Keukenhof was open before we left, the Rick Steves Traveler's Helpline was abuzz with complaints from people who went to the gardens and there wasn't much to see except in the greenhouses.  Never mind the cold and snow, they wanted miracle flowers.

We knew everything would not be blooming.  I was looking forward to seeing the greenhouses because I hadn't done that before and they didn't disappoint.

What does disappoint is the number of pictures I had to delete because of the vertical orientation.  I didn't delete all of them, though. 

You may also see quite a few pink tulips.  Our daughter, Ruth, asked that we bring back some bulbs.  I researched doing that and my answer to her was, "not gonna happen."  There are all kinds of rules about that resulting in not being able to bring many varieties, requiring that they be in pre-approved packaging, involving customs and in some case the US Department of Agriculture, and costing lots of money. 

So you may see more pink varieties here than I would normally shoot.

These are all tulips.









 
Then we came around the corner to the lilies and Trout had to get a picture of me starting to say something and looking somewhere else.




 
Now back to more tulips.  I was amazed by how tall these ones were.

 
And I love the peachy color.

 
That was odd because if I'm gonna love something, it's more likely to something dramatic like these.
 

 
After the scents of the floats at the Bloemencorso, Trout was sticking his nose into everything.


It's hard to tell here, but these ones were huge, like dinner plates.


 
And I had never seen any with this kind of coloring before.

 
I've always loved this kind of daffodil.

 
Here are some more dramatic ones for me.

 
These resemble the other big red ones, but if you look closely you can see that the centers are purple.

 
These (sideways) ones look like daisies.

 
1000 shades of pink?

 
We shot these Bonsaied lilacs just for Katie.


 
And I liked these colors of Astilbe.

 
These pictures show part of the structure of the greenhouse and some blooming trees outside.



 
Are these really tulips?  Yep.


 
Those dark purple hyacinths are for me.

 
And I couldn't get enough of this dark red tulip color.



 
We both liked this orange.

 
More pink for Ruth.

 
I thought we had finished our greenhouse adventures, but as we were leaving we passed the orchid one and had to go in.  I didn't take a picture of it, but they had a huge curved wall of white orchids and greenery.  It was big enough for a large wedding party to stand in front of and set up so that there would be room for the photographer.  When we were there, there were only a single bride and groom having their picture made.  I saw them later on the grounds in other poses.
 
When I was in high school, I had a friend whose father had an orchid greenhouse in their backyard, but it was never like this.  Of course, I liked the odd colors the best. 



 

 
And the odd shapes.  Trout is pointing to one here.

 
This is sideways, but there were other tropicals in this greenhouse, and these lined shelves up high.


 
Back to the orchids.   Next to the green, I think this was my favorite.




 
Another amazing one, unfortunately sideways.


 
After the greenhouses, we headed home.  The next post will be all about that short, 30 minute journey.