Saturday, August 20, 2011

Europe June 2011 -- Belem: Jerónimos Monastery

After eating lunch at Pasteis de Belem, our next stop was to visit the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos.  Built in 1459, it is a fine example of the Portuguese late Gothic architectural style.  It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The pictures on the website will show the entire building much better than any picture I could have taken.  This is on the way to the front.  The monastery is just a block or so from the cafe.


This is part of the entrance side.


This was the first room we went into.  It was a place the monks gathered.


I loved the addittion of the blue and yellow tiles.  I also loved this old couple.



The monastery is famous for its cloister.  I thought the Gothic style here was wonderful.  I really like how plain the courtyard is so that it doesn't compete with the architecture.  I can visualize the monks walking through this space.


Each column is different.  No, I didn't photograph all of them.


This is a close up of one of the bases.


This shows the dome of the church peeking up above the cloister.


This is the choir of a small chapel inside.


Everybody has to take a picture like this.


Now I'm on the upper level.


Here are some examples of the different columns.


Pause for a gargoyle.


Now back to the columns.



Here we are inside the choir of the Church of Santa Maria.  We were already on the 2nd level so access was easy.


Lots of people were taking pictures of the chapel down below.


I couldn't get enough of the arches.


Even though the stained glass was also impressive.


This is taken down the side.


This is downstairs, as close as I could get to this chapel.


Shall I say again how impressed I was by the arches?


This last picture is of the choir upstairs where we were before.



That was our visit to the monastery.  I thought the cloisters were more impressive than the chapel, except for the arches.  Now it's on to more sites in Lisbon proper.